Sunday, November 11, 2007

Benq 20" Wide TFT LCD Monitor Model Q20WS: Don't waste your money on this computer

I recently ordered 2 LCD monitors, one to go with my new dual core processors computer, and one for my son. The monitor's details are as follows:

Benq
20" Wide TFT LCD Monitor (Version 3)
Maximum resolution WSXGA+ 1680*1050
Rating: 100 - 240V, 50 - 60Hz, 1amp

Product Name: (blanked out for privacy as I think this is only for this particular monitor)
Model: Q20WS
Brightness: 300 nits
Contrast: 1000:1
Response time: 5ms
Senseye Technology
D-Sub/DVI Dual Input

I previosly had to pay through my nose to replace a switch on a CRT (Cathode Ray Tube) monitor a long time ago. After that, I resolved never to connect a monitor direct to the computer, but to get the electrical power by plugging into a socket on an electrical extension cable plus a row of power sockets (power strip). The reason is that I my computer is on practically the whole of my wakining hours and sometimes when I am half way through a task, I leave the computer on and switch off the monitor when I take a rest or when I go to bed. This obviously is to save on electricity useage, my electrical bill and also because I am environmentally conscious.

The problem with Benq 20" Wide TFT LCD Monitor is then once you switch the monitor on, when you switch the power on again, the monitor will remain off until you switch it on from the switch on the monitor itself even though you never touch it when the monitor is powered off. I made a support request to Benq and got the response that the reason for them designing the monitor this way is to protect the monitor from damage from a power surge. I replied that to the best of my knowledge, power surge is dependent on the electricity supplier and not when you switch on a computer. Power surge can occur anytime. Power surge damage to electircal appliences can only be protected by a power surge protector and not by forcing the user to switch the electrical appliance using a built-in switch on the electrical appliance itself. I said I verified this with the local office of the electricity supplier. In any case, non of my previous monitors had this feature and non of them were ever damaged by power surge irrespective of whether they are LCD monitors or CRT monitors.

I asked how much would it cost to replace the switch if it ever failed and found that it was more than 10 times more than if I just replace a faulty electrical power extension cable (power strip)

I asked how by forcing their LCD monitor users to switch the monitor on with the built-in switch protect their monitor from power surge damage. I never got a response. I told them that I will be publishing my problem with their monitor on the Internet and this is what I am doing now.

Related post:
Will provide links later when I find the time to do them. One of them will be on an environmental blog Enviroman Says

1 comments:

zak mir said...

My 15" Benq has a similar issue, its blinking on and off. My take its faulty switch. After so many on and offs its blown. After reading your comment I am not going to bother trying to get it fixed. Just buy another one.